Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Primer (with the commentary)

I thought I would watch Primer with the commentary turned on in case it could explain what the fuck was going on there. Well, the answer is, fat chance. It's still a good film, but Shane Carruth, the director, spends a lot of time talking about the sound editing and how tortuous it was getting the focus correct on the dolly shots. You or I would have thought, bollocks to dolly shots, I will do something easy. But I think it is noteworthy that practically the whole of Primer is a dolly shot; and it is almost as if the director has sought to pass some of his frustration with the process onto the audience by including dialogue that is not so much tangential as asymptotic, and a plot-line that deliberately makes no sense. But that is the sort of thing I really like. Sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home