Sunday, October 02, 2005

Howl's Moving Castle

Obviously I liked Spirited Away far more than I should have done. Well, this is not as good. But it's still worth it. Had it made any sense at all it would have been fucking brilliant. It's just that there needs to be a coherent plot, and towards the end it just starts making stuff up. I was reminded a bit of Highlander 2, and how can that possibly be a good thing?

I don't know what the celebrity voice-over print is like. I am a snob, so I went to Islington to watch the subtitled one. When they show a dubbed film in Islington, that's when the lintels of civilisation will crumble.

What I really liked about this film, and what qualifies it as good, is that there's this whole child's world created in it. The world is totally plausible, but completely insane. And all the mad magical things are so well characterised, it's like they're real. As opposed to Star Trek, for instance, where the alien races are differentiated according to what colour their stupid make-up is.

Oh, and there are more of the scary blob people in this film. They frightened me. It's maybe fortunate that psychedelic mushrooms are now illegal, because had this film come out in the spring, you might have been tempted to watch this film on them. And that would be the prince of bad ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home