Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Breathless

Not the 1983 Richard Gere remake, the 1960 Goddard original. This film is peculiar, in that it is about as old as my dad, but it is also has the powers of being piss-elegant, super-sexy and cooler than eating lunch in a hummus bar. I have never seen a Belmondo film before, but he models himself on Bogart and that is no bad thing. Also, he makes smoking look excellent.

Plus it is not all weird nouvelle vague editing tics, which is a bit of a relief. Sometimes it is nice to watch a film and feel that your forebrain is not going to pop clean out of your skull due to non-sequential composition techniques. Quentin Tarantino prefers the remake, but then again he also said "when I'm getting serious about a girl, I show her Rio Bravo and she better fucking like it."

The original is good. I will get around to watching the Richard Gere version sometime, honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home