Thursday, April 19, 2007

United 93

Quite simply, essential viewing. It's remarkably restrained and completely gut-wrenching at the same time, as it turns from a dull morning into a nightmare in the office for the air traffic control to Das Boot on a plane at the end. When I was watching that Family Friend movie I got the impression that no-one cared if the film was any good and they all just wanted to get to the end of the shooting script. But the film-makers here worked with the surviving family members and you can tell they had a palpable obligation to do a good job. It's a remarkable document and an outstanding film. And the only DVD I've ever watched where the bonus materials make you blub.

2 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this was a really sympathetic movie too... I found myself on the edge of my (overpriced -- I saw it when it first came out) seat even though I knew how it all ended.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

Remarkable really given that I thought Paul Greengrass was just a big fat Matt Damon-loving hack. How many more auteurs are concealed in the studio system I wonder? Does that mean that Shatner could be an undiscovered Truffaut?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home