Saturday, December 24, 2005

Barton Fink

I just watched Barton Fink today. I remember watching this when it came out, in 1991, at the old Lumiere Cinema on St Martin's Lane. My dad took me and my sister to see it; as we came out I recall the sticky feeling of reluctance to talk about it, because we all thought it was shit.

Well, I can't speak for my dad or my sister, but I was obviously a callow fool, because this is extremely good. Thank god they hadn't invented gobby websites back then. With his haircut borrowed from Don King, John Turturro is exceptional as the shy yet megalomanic Barton Fink; John Goodman plays Walter out of The Big Lebowski, and Steve Buscemi is ever-so-slightly weird. It's beautifully judged, and you can tell that the Coen brothers derived amusement from merely typing Barton Fink's name in the script.

Maybe I will have to go and rent Highlander II: The Quickening to see if there's any other films I erroneously judged to be shit, back then?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home