Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Producers

Please note that this film hasn't actually come out yet, making this is a genuine One Word Movie shit-plex exclusive!

This was quite an interesting wee psychology experiment. I mean, I hate musicals, and I think they are all shit. But, I have to confess, #1) I went to the stage version of The Producers, #2) I genuinely enjoyed myself, and #3) I read a copy of Hustler all the way back on the tube. I don't know what to be most ashamed of.

So, by going to see this film, I'd be able to watch a genuine wrestling match between the angels of good and shittiness in my brain. Who was going to triumph, I wondered to myself, would my dislike of musicals be exposed as the posturing of a pretend intellectual? Would it hell.

This has got to be a strong contender for the worst film of the year. The acting is mediocre, although Uma Thurman does lend an inappropriately sexual edge to the production. The story wants you to think it's in comedy bad-taste, although really it's just boring, riding a relentless wave of poofter jokes and obvious moron-humour. And it's been directed by someone (Susan Stroman)who has never directed a film before in her life. She's put on plays and ballets and stuff like that before, but the idea of presenting a scene using a camera, let alone moving the fucking camera, like, at the same time the action is going on, has clearly never taken up too much of her time before. I thought I was watching soviet-era TV, but then I remembered the commies had Eisenstein, and he invented the dolly-shot, so that's obviously too accomplished. This really is shit. And the lighting is waaaaaay patronising.

Is there something wrong with people who like musicals? Why not buy a ticket to The Producers and find out for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home