Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Saved!

Or, I Was a High School Jesus Freak. Given that this is definitely a girl's movie, with a load of girl indie-rock on the soundtrack, it's surprising how funny and offensive it is. It does go a bit slushy in the last half hour when it turns out alright for absolutely everyone, and Macaulay Culkin looks more like Steve Buscemi's brother (it's the eye bag thing) than a teenager. But this is a good film. And I'd forgotten how much I like Martin Donovan; I thought he had vanished, along with The Entertaining Hal Hartley Movie Period (hereafter referred to as TEHHMP, a period that terminated in 1994).

3 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Blogger even-star said...

Chairman Peyote I am deeply offended. Just 'cause it's a girl movie you shouldn't be surprised that it is offensive. Girls like to be offended too you know!

The sexual polarisation of artistic criticism only promotes mediocrity. What is the opposite of chick flick?

xxxx

E-S

 
At 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And let's not forget that girls can be offensive too, Gwyneth Paltrow being a case in point (her very existence offends me deeply - and that whiney girl-man she keeps reproducing with).

Lala.

PS - A dick-flick perhaps? Or is that an entirely diferent genre...?

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

Hello.

The opposite of a chick flick is, of course, Con Air.

I think Scarlett Johanssen is rapidly heading towards the dark irritation side; I reckon the only way for her to save herself is to offer herself to those out of Kraftwerk.

P.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home