Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Powerpuff Girls Movie

I've been trying to watch this film for ages, because I love the Powerpuff Girls. Where were all these fantastic cartoons when I was a kid, eh? All we had were revoiced Japanese ones, Looney Tunes, and Dangermouse. Now kids are exposed to Dexter's Laboratory and Pinky and the Brain. But I suppose they also watch Beyblade and that Pikachu shit, so maybe it all evens out.

Anyway, The Powerpuff Girls Movie is good, but not as good as it could have been. I love the design of it all, and the score is excellent - it's like the bleepy casio bits from the Life Aquatic soundtrack, speeded up by a million. And on the DVD extras you get to see the three women who do the voices of the girls, and they are surprisingly foxy, let me tell you.

I never realised that Mojo Jojo wore a turban to cover up his big brain, either. That is disgusting. I hope Monty Panesar is not in league with him.

On the downside, there are some very long bits where nothing happens. Well, OK, things do happen in these bits, but it doesn't involve fighting or destruction. So I got a little bored. Also, there is quite a lot of talking and that whole dialogue stuff. And I wasn't too keen on that either.

There is one more thing about this film which I really enjoyed. It has got Frank Welker doing some monkey sounds in it. I had not heard of Mr Welker before this movie, but basically he has built an entire career out of doing animal noises for film, TV, and computer games. Not necessarily actual talking, just the noises. Apparently if you tape real animals they don't emote. Whereas Frank Welker does. What a God. Maybe he is the next stage of human evolution? I bet women throw themselves at him.

So, anyway, I enjoyed this, but maybe not as much as The Incredibles or Toy Story 2. And if you don't already like The Powerpuff girls, maybe you might not like this. Damn fool.

2 Comments:

At 4:00 AM, Blogger even-star said...

if I were an 8 year girl (or what ever their target audience was meant to be)I don't think I would have liked this movie. It would have ALL been boring and not the cornucopia of hilarity that it was.

Oh yeah, and Frank Welker? I'd hit it thrice but only if he dressed up as Fred with the tight jeans, blonde j. crew hair, and slightly fruity neckerchief.

xxxx

es

 
At 3:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Japanese cartoons. I've just found out you can get Star Blazers DVDs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home