Friday, July 28, 2006

Land and Freedom

So some people have been a bit critical of Superman Returns for being a remake of Richard Donner's 1978 original. But Ken Loach's 1995 Spanish Civil War film is pretty much a remake of Orwell's Homage to Catalonia, and none the worse for it. It's thoughtful and well acted, but the poor old anarchists get it in the end. It's a bit of a shame for them, in the film they are all nice but unfortunately they have the same feelings about holding onto power as you or I would have about a nice big freshly laid turd, bam, right there in the middle of the pavement. Franco and Stalin never let that sort of thing worry them so they are always going to lose the argument but win the war.

The film doesn't actually say that much about anarchism, either. If you are interested, a bloke called Stuart Christie has written a fantastic book called Granny Made me an Anarchist about going to Madrid in the 60s in order to blow up General Franco. I recommend you read that, if only to find out what a good laugh the nick is in Spain, I think I might go stay there on my next holiday.

Anyway, in the case of this film, it would be bourgeois of me to inflict my views upon you. So, comrade, why don't you watch it yourself, decide what you think, and then come back and have a vote about it. I think it is good, anyway, 1-0.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home