Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Brick

I was secretly hoping that this film was about the triathlon training sessions where you do a bike ride and a run (hence, BRICK). But this turned out not to be the case, instead it's like The Maltese Falcon re-enacted by the cast of Napoleon Dynamite. And you can only understand about 30% of the dialogue. I really enjoyed this, I thought it was good, which I suppose is an object lesson in how pleasantly one can pleasantly surprise oneself when one has low or no expectations.

On the other hand, if you don't like pastiches of Bogart movies you might be a bit disappointed. My advice to people like this would be watch The Big Sleep and To Have and Have Not repeatedly until you can see Hoagy Carmichael on the inside of your eyelids when you blink.

2 Comments:

At 4:35 AM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

I can lend you my copy of To Have and Have Not.

It is wrong to get the lust on for Napoleon Dynamite, but at least you didn't fancy his brother.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

You wouldn't like Uncle Rico, the man who plays him is a vegetarian so he only pretended to eat all the meat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home