Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Volver

This is an entertaining film, but for me it is not Almodóvar at his best. Although the plot is convoluted relative to say, Snakes on a Plane, it's pretty pedestrian next to the rest of the Almodóvar canon: everyone stays the same sex throughout, and there are no deviant priests. I loved films like All About my Mother, Talk to Her and The Flower of My Secret, because they were utterly contrived and peculiar, and yet somehow, incomprehensibly, you feel for the characters. Volver is quite an intriguing story, and the acting is pretty good, you may have noticed that Penelope Cruz is still gorgeous, but it's not that engaging. It's still good, but no masterpiece. For me, the most entertaining thing was the unmasked contempt with which Almodóvar treats the male characters, that is when he can be bothered to raise the slightest interest in them.

Also, I noticed that A Scanner Darkly was my 100th post on this blog. Good heavens, I never realised I had been callously judgemental about quite so many films. So, thank you for reading and I will attempt to protract my knee jerk reactions, at least until they stop making shit films.

2 Comments:

At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

100 films, eh? Woohoo!

Please don't restrain yourself, the shit-rated films are usually the ones my boyfriend wants to watch, so I rely on you for reasons not to go see them.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

Thank you Lala, sorry I haven't seen any shit ones for a while, I am sure the urge will strike soon though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home