Monday, November 20, 2006

The Prestige

Bateman vs Wolverine, what's not to like? This film has been brought out in only a few, rubbish cinemas (like the Odeon Panton Street, London's second most shit venue) as if the distributors were ashamed of it, like an idiot cousin. I confess that I was a little worried that it was going to be duff, because magicians are duff, and the 1890s are duff (too much brown), but it is actually brilliant. Patrick Bateman is so good that you forgive his accent, Hugh Jackman will take any role that involves sideburns, and Scarlett Johansson is both pulchritudinous and good at acting.

People have talked a lot about how you see the twist coming, but that's not what it's really about The real twist is, you completely change your mind about who the psycho is. I thought about this film for ages afterwards, and I would quite like to see it again, only not at the Odeon Panton Street because a) like a toilet, it smells of wee but b) unlike a toilet, it's nine quid to get in.

In summary, this film is good, check it out, and yes, pulchritudinous is a codeword, meaning primo garbonzas.

6 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but from what I hear, it's a really good movie. Scarlett Johansson is one of the best actresses out there today. She's nominated for favorite leading lady for The People's Choice Awards! Be sure to vote for her at http://www.pcavote.com. I work with The People's Choice Community, so I'm giving you guys the heads up!

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

Thank you Edgar. If Scarlett Johansson comes round my house and cooks me a nice stew I will definitely vote for her. I will provide the cakes for afters as well.

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can cook stew, will you vote for me?

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

That is a tough one. The two main criteria have to be 1) appearances in Jude Law films and 2) stew making ability. Miss Johansson has not appeared in any Jude Law films but her stew technique is unconfirmed. If you have not appeared in any Law films and have a stew level above rudimentary I think you'd stand a very good chance.

 
At 4:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never appeared in a Jude Law flick, and frankly, my stew rocks.

I can do dumplings too.

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

You win Lala, what cakes do you like?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home