Monday, February 13, 2006

Munich

You might be thinking this film is a serious historical analysis of the events following the Black September terrorist massacre at the Munich games of 1972. Well, it is that, it is relentlessly low-key, serious and paranoiac. But mostly, it's an exercise in trying to make Eric Banana cry. With his handsome features and his big chubby cheeks, you know that Spielberg just wants to see him blub. Go on Bananaman, channel how it felt when you heard that Jim wossface got to play Jesus and you didn't.

I enjoyed this film, I thought it was good. Ultimately, it's a big wind-up of the more illiberal sections of American society, and that has to be applauded. It is very long, and but I like long films so that is OK. And there is one really tasteless sequence where Mr Banana is having banana-fun with Mrs Banana, but some kind of exploding helicopter flashback is going off in his head. You can just imagine the Adam and Joe toy remake.

People will probably also talk about the moral ambiguity of this film, but I thought the message was perfectly clear: never, ever, believe a word that the Geoffrey Rush character speaks. Stick to the yellow bendies in future, Eric, they are your friends.

I am sorry, I probably should write more of a serious review of this film, but I have just seen Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and it has done things to my mind. A full review will follow, but for now I'll just say, it makes Munich look like a fucking Disney.

3 Comments:

At 4:34 AM, Blogger even-star said...

I would not dispute (in spite of my loathing for Steven Speilberg) that this movie is GOOD.

But what is SHIT about it is that although it is GOOD it is about as ENJOYABLE as watching blood spatter dry on a concrete wall. So what ever floats your boat really. Humourless, dour, interminable.

I don't think it will wind up the American liberals though. American liberals would love all the 'Terrorism doesn't solve anything' sub text.

Gee thanks Steve. Until you came along I didn't know Nazis were bad either.

A more subtle point, I thought anyways, was making the neutral non-governmental cooperation SOURCE a Frenchman. Hey Speilberg, you want freedom fries with that?

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

I missed out an 'i' (the second one) from the word illiberal, I've put it back in now.

Winding up liberals is actually the most dangerous sport in the whole world, even worse than leopard-taming when you're only wearing a tiny jockstrap made out of bacon.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is going to be better, anyway, but that's not on in Basildon.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home