Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sur mes lèvres (Read My Lips)

I liked this movie, it’s good. It’s about a deaf girl and an ex-con, but pretty soon you stop worrying about all of that and just relate to them as characters. I investigated this film because I enjoyed The Heart my Beat Skipped, by the same director, Jacques Audiard. So I ordered Read My Lips off my DVD rental service.

And then, from almost the first frame, I realised that I had seen this film before, when it came out in the cinema, and then I’d totally forgotten almost everything about it. And it’s not that it’s not memorable or shit or anything, I remembered enjoying it, and that was only in 2001 It is a bit low-key and subtle, but that can't account for this phenomenon, I think someone must have neuralised my brain or something, like in Men in Black. And then I got to thinking, how many films have I seen that I’ve totally forgotten. It’s entirely possible that I might have seen Schindler’s List 12 times, for instance, forgetting it each time, and then having to watch it over, and going, why does he insist on doing that stupid German accent, every single time.

Oh well, it’s not so bad, unless I start getting tattoos done of the all the films that I see, I don’t think there’s much of a way around it. And plus, I got to enjoy this film for the first time, again.

1 Comments:

At 2:22 AM, Blogger even-star said...

This is actually a well documented disorder known as Cinemamnesia. My mother is a terminal case. There is no cure as yet for this debilitating and embarrassing condition. Thousands (mostly family members of those afflicted) also suffer indirectly.

Please give generously to the 'But You Have Seen This Before' campaign through the Cinemamnesia Foundation of Canadia.

signed

Dr. Even-Star

 

Post a Comment

<< Home