Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Together

This is the second film by Lukas Moodysson, and it's a cracker. I saw this when it came out at the cinema, and I watched it again on DVD because I was full of bird flu or something like that. It's a lovely comedy, which starts off really bleak with scenes of heavy drinking, wife-beating, and deranged hippies. As the beaten wife leaves home to go and join her brother in the weirdo commune to the strains of ABBA, you can see her kids' worlds collapse. It is just awful. Well, it gets better in unexpected ways and by the end of the film you think living in a commune would not be so bad. We never had a TV until 1982 either (so that my dad could watch the World Cup, bless him) so certain bits of this film seem freakily familiar, too.

Any film which you can enjoy twice has got to be pretty good, and this is no exception. With regards to the rest of the Moodysson output, I haven't seen Show Me Love (aka Fucking Amal) yet but hopefully my DVD people will send it to me soon. Lilja 4-Ever is good, but only just. Bad things about it are: there is more Rammstein in it than in xXx, and it is depressing. I have not seen his most recent one, Hole in my Heart, but it is shit. Some films you really don't need to watch, and you don't need to watch this one. Trust me or not, but if you watch it, you will find that I am right. It is like not putting the scorpions in your mouth. And that is it, that is all the films that Lukas Moodysson has made, I hope he gets better soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home