Saturday, March 18, 2006

V for Vendetta: A Warning from History

I’m sorry, I’m not going to watch this film, you can tell it’s going to be shit. How? Well, from the adverts, I was under the impression that the Wachowski brothers had directed this film, and you might have been too. But this is not true, some no-name, Tesco-value director has taken care of the helming duties. The Wachowski brothers merely have production and writing credits. It is never a good idea to go and see a film because of who produced it. It is sometimes a good idea to go and see a film because of who the writer is, but only if the writer is Charlie Kaufman.

Alan Moore, who did the original comic book, took his name off the credits in a big huff, and it looks like the Wachowski brothers pretty much did the same thing, only the studio realised this was the only way it could sell a shit film, so it splashed their names all over the marquee anyway. It's like turning up on your blind date to find that the Portman or Pitt-alike you had been promised is in reality an untidy old mouthbreather.

3 Comments:

At 5:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caved and went to see this last night - I know, I know, I should have know better. The storyline was fine, timely warnings about the politics of fear, etc etc, but the direction was frankly pedestrian and did no justice to what could have been a great film. Also, Portman, who can be so ace when she's being directed by, e.g., Luc Besson, was doing that strange wooden acting thing she did in the latest Star Wars travesty, sorry, trilogy. I also notice that Joel Silver has stuck his big jammy fist in the production as well, which may explain things a bit, seeing as how he totally shafted Terry Gilliam's Brothers Grimm (shit).

 
At 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, just remembered why you should see this film. Portman's attempt at an English accent are at times hilarious. She comes off as vaguely antipodean most of the time.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Chairman Peyote said...

Hi there Lala -

Sorry, I have been off the computers for a while. I'm sorry that you caved in, I feel for you. & I know that thing with Portman. It is like Uma Thurman; she persists in making unbelievably naff movies, so I never get to see her. Despite the fact that she is the apex of pulchritude. Dang.

CP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home